Saturday 22 November 2014

|Beginning|

So, here I am at last. 

|This is me, celebrating my entry into the cyber food-sphere, with some decadent chocolate ice cream. Yum|
Finally took the time to sit down and start this thing. I mean, its only taken, what... a year? 

Im not a trained pastry chef, or trained in anything chef-y. Im a self-taught, experimental home-cook, cooking and baking mostly so that I can eat what I make, but also because it brings me so much joy to see family and friends eat and enjoy my food. 


As the year draws to a close, I look at this as a sort of head start on a new-years resolution, not that I have ever kept one of those for longer than a week. This is generally because they normally sound something along the lines of; "I want to lose 5kgs", "I want to stay fit this year", "Sugary treats kept to one a week, not one multiple times a day".
 I love food, those were ridiculously unrealistic for me. 
But this one, Im determined to keep. I spend most of my time browsing food blogs and cook books, the rest on Pinterest, pining after all the ridiculously good looking food on show, so it only makes sense to me that I start my own. 




So, it took me a while to decide what I should post first. Not really sure why this was the one I decided on, probably cause it was gone within a few hours. Me and my sister, we polished this bad boy off. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was easily done as it isn't super rich, but truly packs a flavour punch. And it was her birthday, so she can do what she wants right? 

Let us eat cake. 

Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake with a Lemon Yoghurt Glaze

cake:
  • 80g unsalted butter
  • 200g granulated sugar (1 cup)
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 2-3 tbsp poppy seeds (really as many as you'd like)
  • 165g low fat milk (2/3 cup)
  • 235g plain flour (2 cups)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 egg whites
lemon syrup:
  • 50g granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
  • 100g water (just a little more than 1/3 cup)
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1tbsp plain yoghurt
  • lemon juice to taste
how to:

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and butter and flour a bundt pan. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together. In a slow and steady stream, add the milk. 

In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Gradually fold it into the butter mixture. Then fold in the poppy seeds. 

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold them in. Once combined, pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan.

While the cake is baking make the syrup: add all the ingredients to a pan and simmer over a medium heat until the mixture has reduced by half. While the cake is cooling, poke some holes in it and pour the syrup over.

To make the glaze, just combine the ingredients together and pour over the cake. Simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment